Life Works is a map and compass for young adults juggling family, school, work and other issues. Our team can work with you on everything from child care to career counseling, financial assistance to housing.
Life Works helps individuals obtain full-time, living wage jobs so they can move out of poverty and obtain economic security. Participants are typically in the program one to three years. During this time, they work with their Life Works Coach, setting goals and addressing barriers while focusing on education/training and financial capabilities.
Life Works takes a holistic approach to self-sufficiency, working with participants and their families across various aspects of their lives.
Examples of services include:
• Job coaching and mock interviews.
• Problem-solving and soft skill building.
• Budgeting and money management.
• Parental support.
• Study tips and education support.
Life Works Coaches advocate for individuals and their families, provide meaningful referrals and assist with resource coordination.
Participants might receive financial assistance for things like tuition, uniforms, housing services, childcare, tools/equipment for employment and more.
In order to qualify, individuals must:
• Be ready and able to work.
• Have a household income below the poverty guidelines for their household size.
• Demonstrate effective communication.
• Have strong follow-through.
• Be able to work in partnership with others and complete goals.
Space is limited. If an applicant does not meet eligibility criteria, Life Works Coaches will provide referrals to other helpful programs in the community.
1. Fill out an application.
2. Attend an information session and fill out work, education and financial history forms.
3. Complete the one-on-one follow-up interview.
4. Work with a Life Works Coach to determine eligibility.
5. Provide requested income verification for all related household members.
Community Action Opportunities
25 Gaston Street
Asheville, NC 28801