Like all CAAs, and as a requirement of our Community Service Block Grant funding, Community Action Opportunities has a unique tripartite board structure.
Our 16-member Board represents three distinct community elements:
– One-third are democratically elected customer representatives, i.e., citizens who live on limited incomes.
– One-third are local public officials or their designees.
– One third represent private sector functions such as business, education, non-profit, etc.
The Board composition also includes a minimum of one Director from each of the following professions:
– Fiscal management and accounting.
– Early childhood education and development.
– Licensed attorney, familiar with issues that come before the governing body.
All Directors reside in either Buncombe, Madison, McDowell, Henderson, Transylvania, or Polk County.
Ed Schell, Chair
Max Haner, Vice Chair-Finance
Ophelia DeGroot, Vice Chair-Planning
Willie Mae Brown, Secretary
Bill N. Clark
Harriett E. Thomas
The public is welcome to attend the Board of Directors meetings, which are scheduled on the fourth Tuesday of every other month at 12:00 noon. Contact Joyce Smith at (828) 252-2495 for more information.
February, April, June, August, October, December (December date TBD)
25 Gaston Street
Asheville, NC 28801